Monday, June 14, 2010

In Search of Contentment

I know what some people might be thinking at a title like that - "What! She's a christian. She's supposed to be content in all circumstances". Believe me, I know that this is how it should be. And that is why I am in search of this. I am a person who likes to be "in control" of things around me. Struggled with it most of my life and have won many battles BUT lately this adoption thing has brought me down. I want to control whats happening but it is totally out of my hands. So time to dig deep in the bible and study books and be reminded that GOD is in control.

Read an interesting prescription for contentment from a missionary who worked in the most primitive conditions for more than 50 years:
  • Never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather
  • Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
  • Never compare your lot with another's.
  • Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise
  • Never dwell on tomorrow - remember that tomorrow is God's, not ours.
Psalm 16:5 says "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.

God has already  'assigned me my portion' and God is good and therefore what He gives me is good.

Yes it has been hard waiting for this precious child to be chosen for us but I have to remember 2 truths:
  1. God cares for this child that is already born and waiting for a family
  2. God cares for my family who is anxious to have this child home.
I Timothy 6;15 reminds me that God is the controller of all things.

The adoption news has not been that great lately. There is still the band on of relinquished kids in certain areas of Ethiopia ( this is affecting some of the orphanages that Imagine works with). They are also requiring more documentation before kids can be referred. This is great for the safety of the kids, but has caused much anxiety in the parents waiting for referals. There was one referal in all of May for the Imagine parents. There is hints that this will be resolved soon. Pray for us as we continue to "hurry and wait".


6 comments:

deborah said...

I so understand. In the past I never truly struggled with contentment...but I seem to have a large dose of it now

((hugs))

deborah said...

well, we don't really have a true number because Imagine didn't send our dossier to Ghana, but held on to it instead. So we're somewhere near the bottom I guess. :(
Where are you?

I do wonder how many times we will be updating our Ethio dossier before it's sent over...

*sigh*

Anna said...

Agh, the wait is so hard. I keep praying for all you waiting for referrals. As you trust in God's faithfulness, you will find contentment. Hang in there!
Anna

Ashleigh said...

I read this post yesterday and the missionary's prescription really struck a cord in my heart. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for opening your heart and also the door to hope and thankfulness. Because even in the darkest of days, we have light and we have hope. And some days, clinging to that is the best we can do. I know that our God loves us just the same.

Connie said...

Thanks for this good reminder! Well spoken.

Sharla said...

Elsie,

I'd really like to re-post this on www.adoptionmagazine.ca. Can you please e-mail me at adoptionmagazine@gmail.com? Thanks.