Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Can I be In Charge

I watch the news and I see pictures of Hatian children alone, scared, hurt, etc. I see the little ones without parents. Other times I watch pictures of kids starving in African countries. I see kids abandoned in orphanages in Romania (the problem has not gone away). This week I heard that unicef is calling Haiti to put a hold on adoptions. Are they in charge? This just breaks my heart. The country was full of orphans before the earthquake. Why can we not get them homes? I have a home.By all acounts I have jumped through all the hoops required of me to adopt internationally. I have taken courses. I have had police checks (yes even an interpol police check). I have talked to social workers. I have a big house with 6 bedrooms. I have food we regularly throw out because it goes bad before we can eat it. I have time-I am a stay at home mom. If these kids are safe with anyone it would be me. I would love to bring over a few Haitian children. It would not be a hardship for us. Yes it would be an adjustment. I'm not even talking about the recently orphaned kids. I'm talking about the ones that have been in the orphanages for a while and have no one. I'm not the only one willing to do this. There are thousands of families who could take in kids in a flash. But no. We are not in charhe. Why can't I be in charge? But instead it's groups like UNICEF that have the voice. Keep the kids in Haiti they say. There might be a long lost relative that will take them. Never mind the fact that it could take years to find this person and then they might not even want the child. Their future is in Haiti they say. Wow, what an awesome future for these kids. This is their country and their culture they say. Well I SAY: What about love? What about stability? What about food? What about health? What about dreams? What about being tucked into bed at night by a mommy who is yours (even though she is not the same color)? Who will dry their tears? Who will listen to them? Will UNICEF be able to do this for all these kids? Will they look them in the eye and tell them " you will need to stay in this country that is destroyed and you will live out your remaining childhood in an orphanage. You will then need to go out into this destroyed country without an education and try and survive for the rest of your life". Can I be in charge? I do not understand their reasoning. I only understand that these kids need homes like ours. They need hugs. They need smiles. They need us. Why can't I be in control?????

3 comments:

Joy said...

Thanks Elsie,
I agree. And, when people like us are called "well-intentioned" by groups such as UNICEF, the condescension just oozes out. As if we mean well, but just don't get the big picture. Maybe we're not smart enough, or educated enough, or politcally and culturally savvy enough...in their eyes. Wow. I could be condescending right back. I believe they are also "well-intentioned", but just don't get the big picture (or maybe I mean the little picture...the little lives being affected), and are too caught up in political correctness and cultural competence. I know I am biased toward adoption, and I am not a corporate thinker - I can never really buy the argument that we must sometimes sacrifice a "few" now to focus on long-term change. We need to focus on both.

Sylvie and Victor said...

Hi Elsie,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I remember you as well. I just updated myself on your blog and wishing you the very best with your adoption in Ethiopia. I was looking at your timelines and we had both started in July 2008. It's quite the roller coster ride but it will all be worth it at the end.

Take care
Sylvie

Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

Hi Elsie, just thought I would stop in to say hello. I have nver log into your blog before - but now I will!!! Hopw you don't mind.

Laura